Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Promise to my son

So, it was Rowan's birthday last week.


It must suck to be a vegan kid sometimes. Obviously, Rowan is still too young to feel peer pressure, but I don't look forward to the day when some kid realizes that Rowan doesn't have a bologna sandwich in his lunch box.

So, I made a promise to Rowan - his lunches will not only vegan, and healthy, but also fun, and will cause all the other school children to want to be him.

But I'm getting ahead of myself here. Rowan just turned one, and won't be going to school anytime soon. So here is the addendum to my promise...




Rowan will always get delicious vegan cupcakes on his birthday!


I think he likes this idea.


The recipe I used is the chocolate and vanilla marble cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (my bible.) I wasn't sure it was going to work out, the chocolate batter seemed much runnier than the vanilla and I didn't know if they would cook evenly, but they did!

One tip is to swirl it a LOT more than you think you should. I swirled them together, and they looked pretty good from the top...

  

But once you opened up the wrapper, the effect was kind of lost..

                            
                                 Not very swirly.         




For icing, I just used my chocolate pudding recipe, and stuck it in the fridge til I was ready for it.

Rowan loved it! Yay!

Warning: Terrible singing ahead.  I know I'm tone deaf. Poor John.




Happy birthday, dear Rowan! Happy birthday to you!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to make awesome, jealousy-inducing lunches for Rowan, that is also a goal of mine one day.

    Rowan's just like, "pretty fire..." :P

    ReplyDelete