Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chocolate peanut butter banana pie!

Last week, we had our first dinner guests over. That really made it feel like "home" here. Not to mention, we had kind of gotten into a rut of the same stir-fries, curries, and sandwiches over and over again. Nothing like guests to inspire you to try something new!   (Not to mention it also encourages us to clean the house, something we really ought to do more often.)

Our meal was Ethiopian inspired. We made an eggplant stew, a lentil dish, and a sweet potato stew. Talk about ambitious! Combine that with the injera we picked up at a nearby restaurant, it ended up being way too much food! The sweet potato stew didn't even make it to the table, I just froze it to save for later!

So, keeping that in mind, I wasn't too upset when I was the only one to finish my dessert...


I need to stop eating food before I take a picture of it...
It's Chocolate-Peanut-Butter-Banana Pie!

And it was super easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 pre-made pie crust
2 medium avocados
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. cocoa powder
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. vegan milk (I used almond)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 bananas
2 oz. dark chocolate
2 tsp coconut oil

Cook pie crust according to manufacturers instructions.  You could always make your own, but I've had issues doing that in the past... it's hard to get a perfect vegan pie crust if you can't use soy! The WF brand pie crusts are vegan (at least the ones at my store are!), and they're actually really delicious. I've used them several times since discovering this...Anyway, cook, and then set aside!

Put everything in a food processor except 1 1/2 bananas, the dark chocolate, and the pie crust (duh). Give it a good processing! It should be thick, and there should be no chunks of avocado or banana left.

Scoop filling into the pie crust. Cut the remaining 1 1/2 bananas into slices and layer on top of the filling. Melt the dark chocolate in a small pot with the coconut oil, and drizzle over the pie.

Freeze for about 2 hours, or until you're ready to eat!

It made a really rich dessert. I originally planned on just a peanut butter and banana pie, but because of the avocado, the filling was green. And it weirded me out.

I guess I'm just not that kind of vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment