Sunday, March 14, 2010

Home-made "Sausage"!

My best friend is a celiac, which means she can't eat gluten. I made this recipe to spite her. And because I missed sandwiches. 

Ingredients
- 1 1/2 C. vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 C. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1-2 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
 - 3/4 C. cold water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 T. olive oil (I used canola because I was out of olive oil)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce, or, if you can't eat soy like me, check out our Stroganesque recipe for a vegan soy free version!)
-1-3 cloves garlic, crushed well

Now go like this! 



1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2.In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.
3. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for several minutes. (I'm lazy, so I only kneaded it for 3 minutes. The longer you knead it, the better the texture)
4. Form into a log (6-8" long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends.

 Looks like Christmas!
Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

I didn't take any finished photos, but here is a picture of the pig you DIDN'T eat!

We probably made about 10-12 sandwiches with the finished product, so it's much cheaper than the store bought veggie slices! And I liked it just as much. You could also use it in jambalaya or any recipe calling for sausage. Nom nom nom.

1 comment:

  1. Yay vegan sausage! I discovered that if you replace a bit of the gluten with chickpea flour (or any high-protein flour), it ends up with an awesome texture, a little softer. I'll have to try yours out, Logan loves satan..er, seitan. :)

    ReplyDelete